student caucus -- call for proposals
Transformations: Students Leading Change
Almost 58 years ago, four African American college students at North Carolina A&T State University decided to take a seat at a segregated lunch counter, and four years later segregation of public spaces was deemed illegal. Just 5 years ago, in 2012, a Pakistani student by the name of Malala stood up for women’s right to education in the face of fatal danger and is now the youngest Nobel Prize laureate for her human rights advocacy. Today, students in the United States and abroad are taking a stand in movements such as Black Lives Matter, the movement for transgender rights, or movements to help refugees and protest draconian immigration laws. Student leaders are a crucial source of progressive activism, sparking intellectual debates, legislative reform, and major cultural changes. Students are at the front of social movements that have changed this nation, and this world, for the better.
For SEWSA’s 2018 student panel, we are calling for undergraduate and graduate student papers addressing student-led social movements. Be it individual students taking a stand against a destructive government or large grassroot campaigns organized by students to address the revival of nazism in America, we want to discuss all facets of students leading change. Possible topics for papers may pertain to:
- The current state and future of student activism
- Student research relating to current social issues
- The LGBTQ+ movement post-marriage equality
- Black Lives Matter and Black Feminist Leadership
- NoDAPL and indigenous perspectives on resistance and social change
- Disability activism and responses to ableism
- Trans* rights and public policy
- Bringing personal stories to the public sphere
- Cultivating leadership at the grassroots level
- Working for change in local and national government
- Practicing intersectionality and inclusion
Please email a 200-word abstract to SEWSA_StudentCaucus@googlegroups.com by November 15, 2017. Submissions should be emailed with “SEWSA Student Caucus 2018” as the subject line. Abstracts not selected for the panel will automatically be forwarded to the general conference selection committee for consideration on the main program. The 2018 SEWSA Conference, Transformations: Leading Change, will take place March 1-3, 2018 at Clemson University in Clemson, SC.